Sunday 12 February 2012

FEBRUARY PROJECT


Time, of late, has been something of problem. Work and family have been keeping me too busy, so time for modelling and painting have been severely cut back. I had hoped that, after completing my Russians in January, February would be the month for upgrading, tarting-up and general having a good work-over my German forces, principally my Fallschirmjäger battle group.

Well, I did the easy bit and bought the stuff required, and it sat gathering dust for few weeks. I know this is a paltry amount of time compared the vast hoards of lead some gamers have stored away, decades worth of painting and modelling, but I also know that I have to strike whilst the iron is hot. Enthusiasm for a project will quickly dissipate when faced with something else new, shiny and exciting, but over the years I have learn to squash the gaming butterfly inside me and focus on a single project. Doubly so with the knowledge that a new season of Viking re-enactment will soon be upon me, and most of my kit needs serious attention in the de-rusting department. But a mantra of 'one-thing at a time' has served me well. So, with a nagging draw towards doing some colonial skirmish gaming growing more persistent, I know I must crack on before the wind is entirely spilt from my sails and go seeking new shores, in the shape of men in khaki (or redcoats maybe).

I have managed a couple of brief evenings building and prepping models. A few additions to my German forces and a few re-paints over some very old models whose long service now requires a return to the workshop – namely my STuG batteries, which are looking chipped, broken and a bit bent in places (I'm thinking new metal gun barrels will help).

The models are unlikely to get finished this month, but I am aiming for the end of March, and the big KGN multi-player game in Ireland. It is useful to have a deadline. The best thing is that I’m not faced with a daunting amount to do, only stuff I want to, (so not 100 Russian infantry for example!). I shall re-visit most of my armies over this year and add a bit here and there and re-work a few tired paint jobs to get them up to standard.

Here are few shots of the WIP.

 The FAMO with basecoat. Also my HQ group's transport, the Schwimmwagen.

 From front to back, a German model railway company (name lost to failing memory) Mercedes truck, being hastily re-sprayed for military service. Armourfast STuH42 to support the STuGs, and SHQ radio van. Not that impressed with this kit, covered in flash, no parts fitted well, took forever to build and many problems will have to be hidden under stowage and camouflage.

 The Schwimmwagen needs Fallschirmjager crew, will have to give some thought to this. Any suggestions welcome!
 AB 20mm Flak and crew, plus two machine gun teams. Based on old
Lovefilm gift voucher cards. Kindly, they sent me free plasti-card in the post!

 Panhard 178. After reading that FJ Reconniassance Battalion 12 fielded these near Pont Herbert I had to have one as an oddity. 

 Not a great kit again, too much flash and poor instructions. I am no fan of building plastic-kits, except the fast-build type - god bless them!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing (bits of) em at the KGN mate. Like your Panhard, thats different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the Schwimmwagen. I used the plastic FJ figs from teh Bulge King Tiger + FJ kit. They are all sitting down. Bit of a squeeze but otherwise good. The rear seats are the main issue so I went gung-ho and had mine sitting on the rear deck with feet on the cross bar behind the driver and added an MG34 on post to lean him on. I posed him so he looks like he's watching the sky. You may need a little green stuff on the front seated figs but being ex-GW I'm sure you can handle that :]

    ReplyDelete